Berne Youth Hostel
Berne is the capital of Switzerland and is not only a political and diplomatic metropolis but also a very popular and much-visited destination, due to its central, geographical location. Only a stone's throw from Geneva, Zurich and Basle, Berne is an ideal starting point for trips and excursions all over Switzerland.
Berne - the romatic capitol city
The romantic medieval streets of the city is still a reminder of Berne's glorious past from the 14th to the 16th century. But, even now, Berne has lost none of its former sparkle, for the city's medieval façade, created during that period, still remains largely unchanged today.
Stroll along or shop in the city's long, inviting arcades or linger in one of the numerous street cafés. The Zytglockenturm (clock tower), the Münster (cathedral), the bear pit and the breath-taking view from the rose garden are some of the lasting impressions which visitors to Berne can take home with them. Berne also has a number of cultural attractions; plenty of museums, a diverse range of theatrical entertainment and a pulsating night life.
Your local discounts
- Bern Ticket: Each guest staying in Berne receives a free Bern Ticket when checking in. This allows free use of public transport in the city of Berne and its environs (Libero Zone 100/101) for the entire duration of the stay. On the day of arrival, the reservation confirmation from the Youth Hostel guarantees a free transfer by public transporation from the train station to the Youth Hostel.
Further member benefits
From the station, go along Christoffelgasse towards the Bundesterrasse. Take the Marzilibahn funicular from the Bundesterrasse into the Marzili quarter or walk down the Bundesrain (the route is signposted). Turn left into the Weihergasse at the lower station of the Marzilibahn. The youth hostel is the last house on the left-hand side. The Marzilibahn funicular runs until 9 pm. After 9 pm, bus No. 30 runs from the Bahnhofplatz in the Marzili direction as far as the "Dalmaziquai" stop.
The youth hostel has a limited number of chargeable car parking spaces.
(from Berne Railway Station approx. 900m, from the bus stop "Dalmazibrücke" approx. 100m)
During the day (up to 9 pm): From Bahnhofplatz through Christoffelgasse to Bundesgasse. Cross the road and continue along Bundesgasse for about 50m to the left. At the level of Gurtengasse, turn right through the small park to the Marzilibahn. The Marzilibahn is wheelchair accessible. At the Marzilibahn valley station turn left into Weihergasse. The Youth Hostel is the last building on the left-hand side. A path paved with composite stones leads across the garden seating area to the main entrance.
After 9 pm: From Bahnhofplatz take bus No. 30 (low floor bus with folding ramp) to the bus stop "Dalmazibrücke". About 50m downstream cross Weihergasse and follow this for about 30m. The Youth Hostel is on the right-hand side. A path paved with composite stones leads across the garden seating area to the main entrance.
The youth hostel has chargeable, wheelchair-accessible car parking spaces some 50m from the main entrance. We will be pleased to make the disabled car parking space available free of charge for holders of an official blue disabled person’s parking permit.
- 01 Jan - 09 Nov 2016
2 - 12 pm
7 - 10.30 am
7 - 12 am
2 - 12 pm
- 9 rooms with 2 beds
- 9 rooms with 4 beds
- 5 rooms with 5 beds
- 10 rooms with 6 beds
- 1 room with 18 beds
- 1 room with 20 beds (summer only)
A total of 177 beds.
Showers/WC on the floor.
Good to know
All Swiss Youth Hostels can be booked on site.
- Breakfast buffet (incl.)
- Varied evening meal
- Lunch for individuals from Monday to Friday, for groups on request
- Packed lunch on request
- Large hall with stage and gallery (as a dayroom and for meals)
- Secluded garden terrace with garden chess, nine-men’s morris and table tennis
- Fireplace with table and small grass playground
- Multi-purpose playing field
- Covered bike stand
- Restaurant and kiosk
- Table football, jukebox, TV
- Washing machine and dryer
- Free WiFi
- WWF nature discoverer set for school classes (free use)